28 July 2015

Vacation

As of right now I am on vacation in Hawaii and what do you know, I got to see an advance screening for the movie "Vacation"! :)



I am a millennial but I am somewhat familiar with National Lampoon. But I vaguely remember the films. The one I do remember most of is the Las Vegas one. Probably because they all won a car and that is my goal whenever I go on a Vegas trip, hah.

As soon as I received a pass to attend the screening, I wanted to see the original Vacation. Unfortunately, it is not on Netflix, Amazon Prime (didn't want to do digital rental for $4) or RedBox. So, I didn't get to watch it.

In the trailer, however, Ed Helms's character says "the new Vacation will stand on it's own", meaning even if you haven't seen the original films, it won't be confusing. That statement is true. Because even if you are unaware of the National Lampoon films, you won't miss any vital information.

However, there were multiple references to the original; which I've learned they are called "easter eggs".

The film is Rated-R which is appropriate because although the storyline is basically:

A modern family goes out to vacation in hopes of spending quality time.

The film had a very crude, explicit humor.

Story line was very basic, as you can see above.

Acting was OK. I didn't find Ed Helms nor Christina Applegate to fit the role well, Ed Helms did outperform Applegate (sorry girl, but that's my opinion). The sons of the film, James (Skyler Gisondo) and Kevin (Steele Stebbins), did better. Gisondo actually does seem like an awkward teenage boy going through puberty as well as Kevin being a little troll and having a naughty mouth.

This film is a film not worth going out of your way to see. If it's on TV, sure.. watch it. Otherwise, no.

If you are extremely bored and need to just laugh at raunchy comedy, this would work.

__________________________________________________
CREDITS
Writers: John Hughes, Jonathan M. Goldstein, John Francis Daley
Directors: Jonathan M. Goldstein, John Francis Daley
Producers: Chris Bender, David Dobkin
Main Cast: Ed Helms, Christina Applegate, Skyler Gisondo, Steele Stebbins
Running Time: 99 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment